Buckwheat Banana Pancakes With Blueberry Sauce
Buckwheat flour infuses these hearty pancakes with extra protein, fiber and nutrients. If you find buckwheat's earthy flavor too strong on its own, replace half of it with another gluten-free flour, such as brown rice or quinoa. This recipe can be also be made egg-free.
Prep Time: 10 Min
Cook Time: 10 Min
Ready In: 20 Min
Servings: 2 to 3
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup dark maple syrup or agave syrup
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg (see Note)
- 2/3 cup + 1 tablespoon unflavored hemp milk or milk of choice
For the Blueberry Sauce
To make blueberry sauce, whirl blueberries and maple syrup together in a blender until combined but still slightly chunky.
For the Pancakes
- In a large bowl, combine flour, banana, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and egg. Stir in milk. Add more milk if needed to reach desired consistency.
- Lighty grease a nonstick skillet and heat over medium heat. Drop batter, 1⁄3 cup at a time, onto the skillet and cook 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until nicely browned. Serve pancakes topped with blueberry sauce.
- Note: For egg-free pancakes, omit 1 egg. Combine 1 tablespoon flax meal with 3 tablespoons hot water. Let sit 5 minutes until slightly thickened. Then add to recipe in place of 1 egg.
Amount per serving (3 pancakes): Calories: 324; Total Fat: 4 g; Saturated Fat: 1 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 70 mg; Sodium: 562 mg; Carbohydrate: 70 g; Fiber: 7 g; Protein, 8 g.
Recipe courtesy of .