Sweet Potato Hummus
Prep Time: 5 Min
Cook Time: 45 Min
Ready In: 50 min
This light, healthy snack is bursting with flavor, spice and color. Because of its high protein content, it will help control your appetite and mood. Pair this with for the perfect blending of protein and carbs.
- 1 large sweet potato (about 9 ounces)
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 5 tablespoons olive oil ( additional, as needed, for thinning)
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Position the baking rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 425 degrees. Wrap the sweet potato in foil and bake in a shallow baking pan until it can be easily pierced with a knife, about 45 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and allow the potato to cool completely.
- Cut the potato in half and use a spoon to scoop out the pulp. Transfer the sweet potato to a food processor fitted with a blade. Add the chickpeas, olive oil, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, coriander, cumin, salt and nutmeg. Process until smooth.
- If the hummus is too thick, add a little extra olive oil or water and process until the desired consistency is reached.
Recipe from My Fat Dad: A Memoir of Food, Love, Family, and Recipes by Dawn Lerman (Berkley Books, 2015).