Take care of your health Sign up for boutron newsletters:
Healthy Living
Find out more about:

By Lesley M. Arnold, MD

Professor of Psychiatry
Director, boutron Research Program
University of Cincinnati
Cincinnati, OH

Created: 08/14/2012
Last Updated: 08/14/2012

Share on:

Q: What should I do if I think I may have fibromyalgia, but my doctor hasn't diagnosed it?

Even though fibromyalgia is recognized as a legitimate clinical entity, experts think it continues to be underdiagnosed or misdiagnosed. If you suspect you have this condition, discuss your symptoms with your primary care physician. Your primary physician may refer you to other medical professionals for further evaluation. For example, you may be referred to a rheumatologist, who specializes in disorders affecting the joints, muscles, tendons, ligaments and bones. You may also be referred to a physiatrist who specializes in diagnosing and treating injuries and diseases causing pain, loss of function and disability.

There are no specific laboratory tests to identify the fibromyalgia, so even with the right medical team, diagnosis can be difficult to diagnose. Be patient but don't give up.